Monday 11 February 2013

Well I've had some great feedback for day 1 - thank you all so much!

Today I thought I'd talk about motivation... I don't know about you but if I don't get organised and decide early on what I'm going to cook then my motivation goes down hill as the day goes on. The key to keeping motivated to cook - or try something new, is to be prepared. If you have all the ingredients you need then you are more likely to throw something together. 

That got me thinking, what basics should someone have in their pantry? So here's some ideas for you that might help.

Staples:                                                       Condiments:
Plain Flour                                                     Soy Sauce
Baking Powder                                               Tomato Sauce
Sugar                                                           Worcestershire Sauce
Cornflour                                                       Hoi Sin or Oyster Sauce
Olive Oil
Canola or Vegetable oil
Pasta - spaghetti, penne, macaroni, fettucine or whatever
Rice
Salt and Pepper
Tomato puree
Tomato paste
White vinegar
Balsamic Vinegar
Bread Crumbs

Dried Herbs:                                                Spices:
Basil                                                           Chinese 5 spice
Bay leaves                                                   Cinnamon
Mixed Herbs                                                 Cloves
Oregano                                                      Cumin
Rosemary                                                    Curry Powder
Thyme                                                        Turmeric
Coriander

Stock:                                                        Fresh Foods:
Beef                                                           Potatoes
Chicken                                                       Onions
Vegetable                                                    Carrots
(Stocks can be in cubes or liquids)                   Peas
                                                                 Garlic - fresh or crushed in a jar
Canned Foods:                                             Ginger - fresh or crushed in a jar
Coconut Milk/cream
Chopped Tomatoes
Tuna

Meat wise you can get whatever your budget allows - don't be afraid to buy reduced meat, just use your judgement in terms of what it looks and smells like, don't take risks, but definitely buy it when you can - I do! I usually make sure I have mince - beef, lamb and pork at least - you can do SO much with them and they are affordable. I always have chicken, more recently I buy the thighs rather than the breasts, the thighs are much more moist than breast meat and once again more affordable. Chicken pieces or nibbles are great too. Sausages are not really my favourite food, but you can make them into some yummy dishes quite easily, so its good to have some in the freezer.

I'm sure many of you will already have pantries stocked with these things, but for those of you who don't, you don't have to run out and buy everything all at once, add something to your trolley each time and it won't take long to get there. Obviously there are heaps more I could add, but these are basics, that if you have you should be able to throw anything together and get dinner on the table!

What's at ours tonight - well I'm inventing.. I will add some Jamaican Jerk seasoning to some chicken mince, with an egg, breadcrumbs, onion and seasonings and make patties. I'll serve it with lime aioli - which is just mayonnaise with a squeeze of lime juice and some garlic.. easy ;o) and some leftover coleslaw and rice.

I hope thats been helpful, happy cooking,

K

8 comments:

  1. Great blog! I find that if you're a recipe follower like me, after a while the pantry just seems to get stocked with the right ingredients. When I was cooking for 6, I was an Alison Holst fan and the pantry had loads of canned tomatoes, pasta, corn...I could open one of her books and presto, make a meal. Now, I'm more of a Jamie Oliver, Bill Granger, www.taste.com.au kinda cook and my new pantry reflects those choices. It actually doesn't take much to be a good cook, and it takes just a little more effort to be a good chef! Arohanui Kerry...look forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMM that sounds good. I have developed a new addiction which is buying "store cupboard items" for my pantry - I definitely need to get more adventurous with herbs & spices. I might make the Pork Belly for Valentines day and maybe the chocolate filled filo parcels.... Hmmmmm Yummy thanks Kerry!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Groovy's Mum! and you know you can contact me if you need a hand

      Delete
  3. Loving the blog! This one especially as I am about to move out and into a new flat - It's good to have a list of things I can slowly add to the pantry.

    I always enjoyed your FB posts so will keep reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's brilliant info- there are definitely things there I need to add to the shopping list! Thanks heaps- keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Nicki - the idea is that with this kind of pantry you should be able to keep up with me, should anything I post take your fancy...

      Delete