Sunday 14 April 2013

Well it's been awhile... I have to admit I've been a bit stuck on what to blog about...

Following my cousins post on Facebook I did feel inspired to make a really yummy vege soup this week and I teamed it up with the yummiest cheese and herb loaf, with lashings of butter..

So with the weather changing perhaps it's timely to share with you my recipes.

Soup:

For my vege soup I buy bacon bones and place them in a pot, then cover them with water and place on the stove.

I then add grated and chopped veges - now what you choose is really up to you, the nice thing is you can add anything really.

I add -

2 onions chopped finely
2 carrots grated
1 big parsnip grated
1 smallish swede grated
2 sticks of celery chopped
1/4 pumpkin grated

to that I add salt and pepper to taste and then leave it to simmer for at least 2 hours..

Sometimes I add grated potato or chopped spinach or silverbeet, or small pasta shapes like stars... When the soup is done shred the meat and discard the bones.

This is delicious just like that, but you can also use it as stock to flavour your other soups too.

Cheese and Herb Loaf:

1 1/2 c flour
1/4 t salt
2 t baking powder
1 c grated cheese (I added some grated parmesan to add flavour..)
1/c chopped fresh herbs like parsley, thyme, sage & mint) or I used dried herbs to taste - approx 2 t of each..
pinch of cayenne pepper (I used paprika)
pinch of mustard powder (I added that, it intensifies the cheesyness)
2 eggs
1/2 c milk

Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in cheese, herbs, cayenne pepper or paprika and mustard.

In another bowl lightly beat eggs and milk together and pour into the flour mix, move quickly to mix - only just to combine, no more. Mixture shouldnt be too stiff, it should be more sticky, if it's not add a little more milk. Pour into a baking paper lined loaf tin and back at 180oC for about 40 mins or until the loaf springs back when lightly touched. Leave in the tin for 5 mins before turning out onto cooling rack. Slice, and eat mmmmm

Happy Cooking,

K


No comments:

Post a Comment